Vehicle Registration Certificate

The new Vehicle Registration Certificate (V5C) was first issued in January 2004, and had replaced all old-style V5 Registration Documents by July 2005. The new style certificate has added security features to assist law enforcement and was developed to comply with a common format for registration certificates across the whole of Europe, to help with the identification of vehicles in international traffic. It can be recognised by its prominent blue front page showing the words "Registration Certificate".

Your registration certificate is a legal document, and you must inform DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency) immediately of any changes to your name, address or vehicle details.

1. Changing Your Name or Address

Complete the 'New Keeper' section 6 on the registration certificate by entering your new details. You will need to bear in mind that you cannot register the vehicle in joint name, for example, as husband and wife.

Sign and date the declaration box in section 8 and then send the registration certificate to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BA. The DVLA should send you a new registration certificate within 4 weeks of receiving your application. However, you should contact them if you have not heard from them after 6 weeks.

2. Changing Your Vehicle Details

You must inform the DVLA if you make any changes to your vehicle, such as:

  • Colour
  • Engine
  • Fuel type
  • Replacement of modification of the chassis/ monocoque bodyshell
  • Cylinder capacity
  • Seating capacity

You can notify the DVLA of any changes or corrections by completing the 'changes section' on the registration certificate. If there are any changes to the vehicle other than those listed in this section, simply underline the details that have changed and write the new information next to them; you will also need to enclose a covering letter explaining these changes.

You will need to send additional evidence to the DVLA if you change the fuel type of your car:

  • if a new engine is fitted, send the receipt as confirmation
  • if the existing engine is converted, send confirmation on headed paper from the garage that carried out the work

You will also need to include written evidence if you decrease the cylinder capacity of your engine to an extent that it will affect the rate of vehicle tax you pay. This evidence must show the details of the new engine number and cylinder capacity (cc), and may include:

  • written evidence from the manufacturer
  • a receipt for the replacement engine
  • an inspection report provided for insurance purposes
  • if the change in engine size took place before you bought the vehicle, written confirmation on headed paper from a garage

Sign and date the declaration box and then send the registration certificate (along with any necessary evidence) to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BA. The DVLA aims to deliver new registration certificates within 4 weeks. You should contact them if you have not received a new certificate after a month.

If your vehicle has undergone any major changes, your vehicle may be called in for inspection by a DVLA local office. These changes include:

  • body type
  • vehicle identification number (VIN)
  • chassis number
  • frame number for motorcycles
  • wheel plan

3. Replacing a Lost, Stolen or Destroyed Registration Certificate

If your registration certificate has been lost, stolen or destroyed, you can apply to the DVLA for a replacement by post or over the telephone. There is a fee of £19 payable for this service.

If there are no changes to the vehicle or personal details, you may simply telephone the DVLA (see Useful Resources for contact details). You will need a credit or debit card to pay the fee, and will receive the registration certificate within 10 working days.

If your personal details have changed, you must apply using a V62 application form, which is available from any DVLA local office or licence issuing Post Office branch. Return this form to DVLA with the fee of £19.00. Your certificate will take approximately 4 weeks to arrive.